What are the requirements?
- Windows XP or more.
- Diablo with patch 1.09
- The Diablo folder must be writable.
- Resizing the window only works in game, not in the menus.
- It is recommended to disable the UI fix for Windows versions before 10; otherwise the menus will be mostly hidden.
- If the UI fix is disabled, the menus interface (before entering a game) is a bit buggy. For example, the mouse cursor must be at the top left of the screen to interact with the Diablo window, even if it is not there. Some menus also have visual bugs.
- Locking and unlocking a session while the game is running often causes the game's screen not to be updated (the game keeps running, though).
- If DiabloPatchLoader says "Error launching diablo: Could not launch Diablo.exe", go to Diablo folder, right-click Diablo.exe, go to Properties > Compatibility and uncheck everything. Then run DiabloPatchLoader.exe again, and it should work.
Does DiabloPatch work with version 1.09b?
No, it only works with version 1.09. This doesn't make any difference, as the only improvement of patch 1.09b is a fixed sound problem with Windows NT 4, and DiabloPatch is not compatible with Windows NT 4, and nobody uses Windows NT 4 anymore.
How does DiabloPatch work?
DiabloPatch comes with 2 files: a DLL, and a loader. The loader performs some checks and if everything is fine, runs Diablo and injects the DLL in Diablo's code, in memory (the Diablo.exe file itself is never modified).
The DLL hooks various functions of the game, and replaces them with new code. In order to be as stable as possible, the modified code is thoroughly reviewed and tested before it is released. I have a really good understanding about how this game works and I only implement a feature if I am completely sure of its impact, and the code to modify. For example, the "dupe" bug fix involves a lot of code in different places, and all of it must be fully understood in order to fix it efficiently. At the end, the fix is quite simple, and Blizzard could have fixed it in under one hour of work.
Can I go back to vanilla Diablo after installing DiabloPatch?
Yes. DiabloPatch never modifies any Diablo file on the hard drive; it only changes the code in memory. To go back to vanilla Diablo, just launch directly Diablo.exe from Diablo's folder instead of DiabloPatchLoader.exe.
When and how was DiabloPatch created?
DiabloPatch was created as a personal project, because playing Diablo on newer operating systems was complicated, and the game itself needed some improvements (everybody hates hearing a ring drop but not being able to find it). Most improvements were taken from Diablo 2.
Then, it was distributed among friends, who convinced me to release it publicly. After a bit of polishing, the domain was registered and this website created.
Does it work with battle.net?
Yes! As of version 2.0.0, full support of Battle.net is implemented.
Where can I discuss about DiabloPatch?
Go to DiabloPatch's subreddit.
Is the source code available?
No. Maybe it will at some point.